Friday, June 1, 2012


Ane Christine Jensen

(Compiled and written by John Virgil and Elly Jensen, 1968)



The following is a history of Christine Jensen Kjeldsen Jensen wife of Kjeld Kjeldsen and John Henry Jensen as told to Maxine Abel, her granddaughter 2 April 1940. The history was obtained from letters written to Oneita Christine Kelson and compiled in her grandmother's own words to make a true living history.



I'll make a short story of my life I was born in Silkeborg, Denmark 23 July 1858. I was baptized into the Mormon Church 7 February 1871. Mother and my four sisters all worked in a paper mill. They worked in the fine paper and I made envelopes. Then my sisters had a chance to emigrate from Denmark to Idaho. My father was a building carpenter. He immigrated to Idaho a year after my sisters.



I met the boy which I later called my husband. We were married 19 July 1874, and the next month I would have been 17. Then we moved into mothers. There was not very much work to get, but we went along. The 22 March 1876 my first son was born (Kjeld George Albert Andersen). Then father sent my mother money for her to meet him. She went in July 1876. Then the hard times came. My husband couldn't get very much work. My sister, Hanna, moved in with us and we got along. Then his boss said he could give him a two months job in another city (Aarhus). He went a week before I did to get a house for me. In the last part of July I went. He met me in the depot. He earned pretty good, but we kept going back. 12 September 1877, my baby girl was born. We had rented out one furnished room. The 19 September 1877 my husband was killed at his work. This same afternoon my sister Hanna came from Silkeborg to stand by me. I will pass over all the tragedy of my life. After the funeral I went back with my sister. I stayed with her that winter and many times it was hard as we had just what she made to live off of. There was a man who sent me $10, but he never wrote his name. By Christmas, the manager over the big theater from where my husband was killed came and told me we are playing two nights, and you shall get the benefits or 400 kroner. I am here to see what you want to do with it. I told him I wanted to go to my parents. He asked if they could provide for me and the two children. I told him yes I got sisters there too, and they would be glad to care for me. He said well, all right. I will keep the money, and your journey will be paid to Ogden. You will have to leave the middle of July. My sister Hanna started to get clothes ready for us. She had the children fixed up very nice. George, the boy was two years old and three-month-old he was a beautiful child.



About the 15 July 1878, I was made to go on the boat. We went to Aackers to get on it. In three days we came to the big ship that was to take us across the Atlantic. This ship had four big chimneys. There were 960 people including me. Every day we were nearer to New York. It was a hard trip for me with two little children and no one to help me. I was awfully sick and had to lay down in my bed at the bottom of the ship. The doctor came down twice and gave me some medicine. He came down with an immigrant girl like me to dress the children. This girl happened to be Mrs. Erickson in Weston, Arvid Erickson's mother.



There is one thing I have to mention, and that is that the captain kept George most of the way over. I know it was the captain. There were two thieves in the boat, and they would break into the emigrant’s trunks. The captain had two men sent to watch and catch them when they broke into the emigrant’s trunks. I saw him when he came. He was the one who kept George. That morning we reached New York.



When he came my turn to get off, the captain came and kissed George goodbye and saluted me with his cap. As we came in, I saw the Statue of Liberty. We went over to the castle garden. There we will were told we were going to be served with coffee and doughnuts. That same afternoon we were on the train. In one end of the car there was a stove. There were many in the car, but I had two seats. It was awfully hard for me because the children were so small. All I had to eat was some dry biscuits from the ship. I had a little bit of money which my sister left with a man for me so that he could buy a little bit for me once in a while. Then when we came to Chicago, there came a man in the car who was selling pies. This man with my money bought a pie for me. The time came when we were near Ogden. The conductor came over and sat down by me. He said your ticket called for Ogden and tomorrow afternoon we will be there. He clapped me on the head and said, you poor little thing. The next day I set by the window watching for the covered wagons. I said, yes, I see them. There were four of them. The train stopped and the conductor helped me and the children down. Their mother was standing. He told me goodbye and the train started on. After we had coffee, squash pie and other good things we packed up to leave. The next day in the morning we came to my sister's ranch. My sister gave me a hearty welcome.



We then drove on again to Weston by sundown there my father was, and we went down in the house. It was just a cellar with no floor in it. My dear sister Boletta and Aunt Tie came to see me. We were all happy to see each other. The baby took sick so we went over to Aunt Tie’s house. The middle of August 1878, it died. I stayed in Weston that winter and I wash for people to earn money to help mother. In this spring, I worked in a flour mill run by a man and his wife. I milked six cows’ night and morning, but I could have my boy with me. They parted that fall. I took my boy then and went to Newton. I stayed with my sister, Carine, that winter. In the last part of December, we came back to Weston. At evening the same day, John Henry Jensen came over to see me, and he said he would come the day after to take me up to the store and give me a few things. He gave me stuff for a new dress. My sister Boletta made it. Christmas eve we were married. I was happy. I had a home at last. After three children were born to us we moved out to our homestead. We had a very hard time to come along. All we could see with sagebrush and Henry was sick most of the time. But at least we could live. We raised wheat and other crops and we got along. When sickness and death came again to me, I had children to help me bear it. I now am 84 years old, and I am tired. I have never in all my life had it as good as now. They are also good to me. This is all.

 Your grandma




Ane Christine

Kjeld Kjeldsen
                                                                         John Henry Jensen                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment